The latest pre-release build of Minecraft 1.8.1 has been published by Mojang, two weeks after the team last put together an early build of the incremental update, but the extra development time apparently hasn't given Mojang any better of an idea as to when Minecraft 1.8.1 will be ready for an official release.
The fourth pre-release build of Minecraft 1.8.1 was published Thursday morning and the latest round of changes offer solutions for everything from ongoing bugs to handful of performance issues that have since been optimized. Only a few of the changes were outlined on the official Mojang blog, but we're happy to report that lead Minecraft programmer Jens Bergensten continued his tradition of publishing more-complete versions of Mojang's patch notes via his personal Reddit account.
In addition to stamping out more than half a dozen bugs, Minecraft 1.8.1 pre-release 4 offers unspecified improvements to the game's rendering engine, which should (theoretically) result in smoother frame rates for some portion of the Minecraft community. The latest Minecraft 1.8.1 pre-release also tweaks the game's Options menu.
On the bug front, Minecraft 1.8.1 pre-release 4 eliminates an error that cause villagers to ignore data tags when trading, along with a bug that allowed players to duplicate themselves on certain servers and one that caused chunks not to render properly for some players. The studio also fixed “an annoying bug” that will apparently not be given any further explanation.
Here are the complete patch notes for Minecraft 1.8.1 pre-release 4 (via Jens Bergensten):
- Rendering performance improvements
- Options changes
- off/fancy/fast clouds
- off/on entity shadows
- fast/fancy now only controls leaves and rain particles
- Dropped items on fast graphics now rotate again
- Fixed some bugs
- Fixed the Anvil GUI truncating long item names and showing garbage at the end
- Fixed chunks not rendering behind the player in F5 or changed FOV until moving the mouse
- Fixed an annoying bug
- Fixed villagers ignoring data tags in trading
- Fixed /summon ignoring rotation
- Fixed /execute detect giving false positive when in different dimension
- Fixed players duplicating themselves on servers
- Fixed mineshafts generating air blocks at wrong location
Be sure to check back with iDigitalTimes.com and follow Scott on Twitter for additional Minecraft coverage throughout the remainder of 2014 and for however long Mojang continues to publish new Minecraft content in the years to come.