Half term is nearly here – looking for something to fill the time up?
1. Take a trip to the zoo. Ever popular Flamingo Land opens its zoo for half term and from February 11 parts of Dino-Stone Park and the outdoor Pirates of Zanzibar acrobatic show will also be on. There’re more than 140 species of animals at the zoo in Malton, North Yorkshire, just over an hour’s drive from Teesside. www.flamingoland.co.uk for mor information.
2. A pop up farm brings the joys of the countryside to Lightwater Valley near Ripon for half term – and selected rides at the North Yorkshire theme park will also open at the Fab Feb Family Fun event designed to appeal to the eight and unders. Thurs Feb 16 to Tues Feb 21, £6 per person, tickets must be booked in advance.
3. Got a Minecraft fan in the family? There’s a festival all set to celebrate the video game, returning for a third year to Northumbria University Student’s Union, Newcastle on Saturday and Sunday, February 11 and 12. Nethermined also includes a special Parents Zone offering tips for safe online play. Family tickets are £60, www.nethermined.com/tickets
4. Enjoy storytime at Drake Bookshop in Silver Street, Stockton on Monday, February when 13 Lord Lieutenant of Durham, Sue Snowdon joins in a half term storytime special. She’ll be reading Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt, the fun starts at 10.30am.
5. Treasure is top of the pile for intrepid kids this half term at Preston Park museum and grounds, Eaglescliffe. There’s a packed line up of activities from fossil hunts, the chance to Dig For It and become an archaeologist for the day as well as a screening of big screen blockbuster Jurassic Park. February 11 to February 26, most activities free with museum entrance, £2.50/£1.50, family £5.